Tuesday, November 15, 2011

In the beginning

Despite the religious sound of the this post I will endeavor never to be that way about any of the many interests that I have.

I hope you are ready for a journey because I am!
Hopefully I don't give people whip lash with the different topics and interests I intend to explore.

I debated calling this the ADD blog but that is probably taken ... ;)

Anyway, I will attempt whenever possible to draw some sort of connection between what may seem like the random meanderings of a middle aged man.

Here we go!

Learning a tonne about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and inbound marketing this week.  "SEO is the active practice of optimizing a web site by improving internal and external aspects in order to increase the traffic the site receives from search engines"  http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo.  Using the http://inboundmarketing.com program this week and intend to write the exam by the end of the week as a jumping off point to a more formal education in the subject.

The intersection for me is continued learning.  I started programming when I was 14 and I have never stopped learning about technology, this has kept me relevant and given me a perspective on technology that I believe is unique.  Marketing has always captured my interests.  I love to speak and I love introducing new ideas to people and I believe the core of marketing is teaching.  It may be value of the product or a person or simply a concept.  Presenting ideas in ways that engage and excite gets me fired up!  I am a huge fan of guys like Seth Goden http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ and Mitch Joel http://www.twistimage.com/blog/.  When these guys introduce ideas I say to myself "OH YEAH!"

It's like they uncover ideas that were just awaiting the proper trigger within me.
That is teaching.

These past couple years I have been gradually extending my marketing and internet knowledge.  This led me to dive into google analytics www.google/analytics .
I worked for the company the built Crystal Reports so analysis is like a long time friend.

Now back to the learning, today's lesson blogging mmm I should try that!


No comments:

Post a Comment